Our History

Our History

When Mr. George Albert Watkins, an Englishman & Mr. Edward Crossy Pereira, a Frenchman came together to import & distribute pharmaceutical products, they never did visualise that the operations would transform over the years to form one of India’s most reputed pharmaceutical company

The Journey of AFDIL

February 2017

THE HR Club Award 2017 – Women Game Changer
– Corporate Champion Award

January 2017

THE HR Club Award 2017 – For Best Innovative HR Practices

November 2016

Among Top 3 Companies nominated for Excellence in HR – Nov 2016

November 2016

Tie up with ALLESET

March 2016

THE HR Club Award 2016 – For Innovation in Talent Acquisition

2014

AWACS Award for Marketing Excellence

2013

Celebrated 90 years of excellence

2012

Certificate of Recognition ( Export House)

2011

OPTIMA Division Launched

2009

Unconventional Business Launched

2004

Rajajinagar Plant operations discontinued. Winds of change and turnaround by Company.

2001/ 02

Herbal Division Launched

2000

Company entered into Generics market

1998

Celebrated 75 Years of incorporation

1997

Company’s Distribution system changed from Super Distributors
to Clearing & Forwarding Agents operation in all States

1997,2004,2010

IDMA Excellency Award

1996 till date

WHO GMP Recognition every two years

1996

Tabletting facility put up in Peenya, Bangalore

1994

Diversified into manufacturing Furnishing Fabrics.
Plant put up at Kharchi near Bharuch

1993

Public issue of shares/ debentures by Company

1992

Injectable Plant put up by Company at Pithampur, Madhya Pradesh.
Mr. Abhay Kanoria takes over as Chairman

1988

Mr. Abhay Kanoria invited to Board

1985

Shifted all Mumbai activities to Bangalore as a consolidation process.
Kanorias taken over the Company.
First Indian (Shri. Ajay Kumar Kanoria) appointed as Chairman of the Company

1979

Due to Foreign Exchange Regulation Act (FERA), Roche diluted shares.
Institutions stepped in.
Bonus shares issued for the first time.
Nitrazepam in Tablets form launched for first time in India

1977

Bulk Drug Plant put up in Bangalore

1974

Company entered Cosmetics market by introducing PANTENE, a Hair tonic

1973/ 74

Manufacturing activities commenced at Rajan House, Mumbai and Bangalore.
Successful introduction of Syu (protein supplement).
Company celebrates 50 years of incorporation

1972

First Indian (Mr. T.K.R. Menon) appointed as Managing Director.
Repurchased machineries from Roche

1967

First Development Laboratories put up in Mumbai

1963

Company’s Medical Service Representatives
first time posted for 3 years in Kenya.
Company’s activities cover Sri Lanka, Kenya, Nigeria, Gyana,
Pakistan, Burma, Bangkok

1961

Manufacturing unit facilities taken over by Roche by purchasing all machineries

1960

Factory building raised to four floors.
Company became deemed Public Limited.

1959

Became member of Indian Drug Manufacturers Association Company taken over by Roche

1954/ 55

First Manufacturing facility put up in Mumbai

1942

Registration of Trade Marks Epilan/ Papyta and Company logo

1942

Registration of Beplex range of products.
Pioneer in promoting B-Complex Tablets

1925

Mr. Watkins appointed as Managing Director

1945

Promoters resign; and Mr. George Roure and Mr. J.I. Ross became sole shareholders

1923

Company incorporated as a Private Limited firm by an English and Frenchman, Mr.
George Albert Watkins and Mr.Edward Crosy Pereira